18.8.06

Friday freakshow

It's been a while since I've been accosted by so many freaks at once...

Gym freak #1: I was at the squat rack, doing some squats to see how my Achilles tendon was feeling. So I did a set of 6 "conservative" reps, and decided that it would be unwise to go heavier, but that I could do a few more sets just to stimulate my quads. As I was resting for my next set, some teenage boy (at least that's what he looked like) suddenly came up to the squat rack and started taking one of the plates off the bar.

"What do you think you're doing? I'm not finished!" I snapped at him.

"Oh, I didn't know you were using..."

Riiiiiight. You didn't know. As if it wasn't obvious that I was standing close enough to the bar to be able to get into squat position within a second or less...and I thought I was the blind one...

I gave him the Evil Death Glare. And then rolled my eyes and said "you can do sets between mine, but please put the weights back on because I'm ready for my next set."

He sulked, put the plate back on, and then skulked away. Whatever...

Gym freaks #2: there was this gang of guys there having some sort of "who can lift more" contest. And they were doing everything they could to draw attention upon themselves, especially when women were watching (one of them started doing lots of dumbell barbell curls really really fast when he caught me looking at him), but more so when they saw other guys lifting. If some other guy was doing something with say 30 kg dumbells, this freak gang had to do more... 32...or 35...always more... and grunt and brag and whatnot so that the whole fucking gym knew that they were lifting more than 30... "come on, it's only 32 kilos, you can do it!" And, of course, the rest of them had to surpass him and scream and shout about it... "look here, 35!"

Eeeeehh...

They seemed unfazed by all the "give me a fucking break" looks, eye rolls, head shaking, etc. they were getting...

Grocery store freak: It's been ages since some freak has commented on the food in my shopping basket. This time it was some frumpy middle-aged woman who seemed to be offended by my avocadoes.

"You know, avocadoes have a lot of fat in them! You shouldn't eat avocadoes!"

I glared at her. She didn't look like someone who should be lecturing me on what to eat and what not to eat. I looked into her shopping cart, full of Cola Light and cookies and diet ice cream and frozen pizza and lots of other shit, raised my eyebrow, and glared back at her...

"Right. And you're the expert on what to eat and what not to eat, are you?"

"I'm only trying to help! Most people don't realize how much fat is in avocadoes! You don't need to get snappy with me..."

"Uh, yeah. Trying to help. Sorry, but I'll stick to my avocadoes and get my healthy fats which, you know, are a part of a total healthy eating plan, if the alternative is to eat that crap you're buying and look like...you!"

That shut her up...

No comments: