17.4.11

getting there...

I had a really good workout this morning. I seem to be getting somewhere with the squats now, and managed 3 sets of 8 reps at 60 kg. Again, it seems like a weak core is my nemesis. It's the showstopper. And admittedly, I have been bad about training my abs since having the baby. I'm bad about training abs in general; it's so boring. But if I want to get back to the truly heavy squats, I really need to do something about my core strength. My back seems to be OK; did 70 kg deadlifts. Upper back could be better, but I'll get it back. Power (or was it not-so-power?) cleans haven't been so great so far, not that I've been doing them the few times I get to the gym either. But I'll get that back too...

I was also amused by the high number of gym freaks considering there were so few people there...

Freak #1: this guy was doing what he probably thought were squats, but it was the typical "lots of weight on the bar but barely bending his knees" scenario. I gave a really dirty look as he did a set, and he asked me what my problem was. So... I told him!

He then told me I had no idea what I was talking about. To which one of the gym regulars intervened and said "um, she does know what she's talking about. And if you had to squat properly, she'd be able to do more than you." HAH!

Freak #2: "skinny fat" guy who was doing... *drumroll* ... WRIST CURLS... THE WHOLE FRIGGIN' TIME I was doing squats, deadlifts, and (not so) power cleans. WTF?!

No comments: