Yeah yeah. So I'm turning 39 very soon. Which means 40 is just around the corner. Which means the usual “40 things to do before 40” crap (in the same style as those “30 before 30” and “50 before 50” lists). I found this 100-item list on some random website. It seems to be slightly US-centric, which is OK since I grew up in the US, and there are enough “worldwide” elements on the list. It would be easy enough to replace some of the US-centric stuff with local equivalents too, but I don't think I'll bother. This particular list is a lot better than some of the other lists I saw while searching for lists in general. Some of the items on some of the other lists included having an affair (that is, cheating on your spouse), losing a loved one (what an awful thing to even think that someone should die so that you can tick something off on a list), speeding in traffic (encouraging illegal activities hmm?), getting blind drunk in strange places (uh?), and having children (breeding should be something out of free choice, not out of forced obligation, and it's also a wrong thing to do just to be able to tick something off on a list).
However, some of the things on this list are, well, a bit peculiar. Join a prayer group WTF? There are also a few things that are missing. Like eating dinner at a restaurant that has at least two Michelin stars. Or trying “unusual” foods in general... oh wait, there's a tripe question. Hmm. Forty means... having visited (at least) four continents, right? Or having studied and/or worked in a foreign country, right, with the new globalized economy and all? (Yeah, BTDT all around.) Oh wait... Here's a doozie for ya: how about getting over issues such as body image by the time you're 40? Conquering your fears? Hmm...
Anyway, the list. I've bolded what I've done, and commented some of the list items, whether or not I've done them...
1. Started your own blog – if you're reading this, then...
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band – I've played in an orchestra. Several actually. Does that count?
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower – more than once
6. Bathed in a river – this can tie in with the skinny dipping question...
7. Been to the Taj Mahal
8. Walked on a glacier in Alaska
9. Caught and held a snake
10. Spoke in front of a big crowd
11. Bungee jumped – not allowed :-(
12. Had a whirlwind love affair that broke your heart – oh yeah, that...
13. Found an arrowhead or fossil
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Rescued an animal
16. Ate sweet breads, glands or tripe – mmm, sweatbreads...
17. Seen Mount Rushmore in person
18. Grown your own vegetables
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France – overrated
20. Slept on an overnight train – many times
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hiked to base camp on Mt. Everest – perhaps some day, but not before I'm 40 I'm afraid...
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort – of course!
25. Watched an animal being born – eeewwwww
26. Gone skinny dipping – many times
27. Learned a foreign language – more than one
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse – more than once
30. Stayed up for more than 24 hours – more than I care to have done such a thing
31. Trained a dog to do cool tricks
32. Been on a cruise – does 'danskebåten' count? (hahaha)
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Can drive a stick shift car
37. Won over $1000 in a raffle or lottery
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Been serenaded
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Broke a bone – I must have. I've seen a photo of myself at age 2, with a cast on. So...
47. Started your own business
48. Quit a job because you were totally unhappy
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the Eiffel Tower
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling – PADI Rescue Diver. But I haven't dived in ages :-(
52. Kissed in the rain passionately
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in – oh man, it's been ages. Do they still exist?
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Joined a prayer group – now why would I want to do such a thing?
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
62. Gone whale watching – whales!
63. Received flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar
72. Pieced a quilt
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job – is 'laid off' the same as 'fired'?
76. Seen the changing of the guards in London – don't remember if I did or not. I've seen it in Oslo, Copenhagen, and Moscow...
77. Broken something extremely expensive
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle – no, but I have been on a speeding ostrich. Why isn't ostrich riding on the list?
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican – nope, and no desire to either...
82. Got a tattoo
83. Been to a coffee shop in Amsterdam – also overrated
84. Seen the aurora borealis in person
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating – fish are animals...
88. Had chicken pox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury – have never been asked
91. Met someone famous – I've met lots of famous people but... I CUDDLED WITH A REAL LIVE PENGUIN! So who cares about the famous people? :-P
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one – boo!
94. Toured the UN – both in New York and in Geneva
95. Hiked to Machu Picchu – probably won't make it there before I turn 40 :-/
96. Swam in the Indian Ocean – I put my feet in the Indian Ocean. Does that count?
97. Conversed with someone when neither of you spoke each others language – waving your hands around like a bunch of chimps works perfectly fine ;-)
98. Dirty danced
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Acted in a play